Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Death's diary

In this section of the book, Zusak gives us an excerpt from Death's Diary.  In his diary, Death stated, “the sky was the color of Jews” (Zusak 349). Death was seeing so many dead bodies at this time that he felt like they were taking up the entire sky. When Death described the Jews dying in the camps he compared it to having a new meal each minute.  “They just kept feeding me. Minute after minute. Shower after shower" (Zusak 349). The Nazis kept feeding Death the bodies of the people they killed at the concentration camps day after day. 

The way Death described the deaths that took place in the gas chambers gave me the creeps.  Death writes about how the people in the gas chambers were so desperate to get out alive, that their fingernails were "nailed into" the wood of the chambers as they spent their last moments trying to scratch their way out (Zusak 349). Death felt like he was saving the people in the camps, because he was putting them out of their misery. If I was in those camps, I think I would try to kill myself so I wouldn't have to deal with the pain. Death felt that ending the humans lives was preferable to keeping them alive in the camps, because Death saw another, more peaceful life after their deaths. He said, “Please believe me when I tell you that I picked up each soul that day as if it were newly born” (Zusak 350).  I agree with Death's feeling that there is a new beginning when we die, because I believe in reincarnation. 

Works Cited:
Zusak, Markus. The Book Thief.  NY: Alfred A. Knopf, 2005. Print.

1 comment:

  1. 10/10: Great job Nina--I'm glad we had the chance to talk about this one together. I hope it helped!

    ReplyDelete