Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Loyalty

In this section of the book, Liesel is carrying around a book called The Whistler.  This book is significant because the mayor's wife tried to give it to Liesel as a gift, but she was too ashamed to take it because she knew she had been stealing from the mayor's library.  Liesel loves books very much, so it was hard for her to turn down that gift.  She wanted the book so badly, that later on, she and Rudy returned to the mayor’s house to steal the book. 

The next week, Rudy and Liesel were walking through town and Liesel was carrying her book as usual.  A group of older kids saw them walking and started bullying Rudy and Liesel. One of them, Viktor Chemmel, had beaten Rudy up before, but Rudy was not afraid of him. Viktor Chemmel snatched the book from Liesel. Rudy showed his loyalty to Liesel by challenging Viktor who said, “What are we reading?"  Rudy replied, "This is between us" and tried to reason with Viktor (Zusak 301).  Unfortunately, Viktor didn't listen to Rudy and instead he spun the book down into the stream. Rudy "peeled off his coat and jumped in, wading to the middle of the river” (Zusak 302). Rudy rescued the book and returned it immediately to Liesel and asked for a kiss from her as usual.  This section of the book shows us that Rudy is a very loyal friend, whose friendship with Liesel is becoming stronger as they get older.
I have always felt being loyal to a friend or a family is very important. When I was younger, I heard one of my friends was in trouble. I had no way to get there, so I decided to walk. I did not care how long it would take me. All that came to my mind was that she was in trouble and that she needed me. I once told her I would always be there for her no matter what it takes. It was a promise that I kept.




Work Cited:
Zusak, Markus.  The Book Thief.  NY:  Alfred A. Knopf, 2005.  Print.

1 comment: